Reuse and Donate
Several options exist for Pope and Douglas County residents and businesses to donate perfectly usable items – instead of trashing them.
- The Caring & Sharing Room of Alexandria
- Habitat for Humanity ReStore of Douglas County.
- Someplace Safe Of Alexandria
- Goodwill of Alexandria
Bulk Food and Foodshelves
Food Banks/Food Shelves make donating edible food easy.
Businesses and Individuals are protected by donating food to Food Banks from any liabilities under the United States’ Good Samaritan laws, donating food is safe and legal.
Instead of trashing perfectly good foods – they are saved for an important need.
Food Banks in Minnesota have a statewide network with supplying our area food shelves.
Food Shelf/Food Donations
- Douglas County Outreach Food Shelf 320-762-8411
Food Bank Organization
- North Country Food Bank, Inc. 218-281-7356
Donate your used car to a local family in need. Car repair services to those in need. Basic budgeting seminars and more.
- Douglas County Public Health/Douglas County Veteran’s Service Office 320-762-3883
- Knute Nelson 320-763-1153
- H.E.R.O. – Fargo, MN http://herofargo.org/ 701-212-1921
- VFW – Alexandria VFW 320-763-9221
- American Legion – Contact your local American Legion Post
- DAV MN – Disabled American Veterans of Minnesota http://davmn.org/
- Donor Connect Program Manager 651-210-1161
- Goodwill – Easter Seals Minnesota
- Other churches or service organizations exist. Contact one near you to see if they will accept donations.
Examples of items accepted
- Four wheel folding walker with seat
- Lift recliner chair
- Manual and electric person lift
- Manual wheelchair
- Power scooter with good batteries
- Power wheelchair with good batteries
- Shower chair
- Stair step chair lift
Items typically not accepted
- Power scooter or wheelchair that need repair and/or new batteries.
- Items that are worn, or soiled.
- Personal medical supplies such as; Prosthetics, B-pap and C-pap machines, nebulizers, IV stands, external feeding pump systems, nutritional supplies, suction catheter kits.
Textiles, Clothes and Shoes
Reuse Shelf @ Pope/Douglas
The best way to dispose of paints and chemicals is to use them up as they were originally intended to be used. As part of the Pope/Douglas Household Hazardous Waste program, some items that come in are perfectly usable.
The reuse shelf is open 8:00-12:00 and 1:00-4:00, Monday and Thursday ONLY.
Because of this program’s popularity we follow a five item limit per household, per visit.